Leftover celery salad
Chop up that peppery celery and mix it with other strong flavours to make the perfect, waste busting, light lunch
- 2 stalks leftover celery ideally not too soft yet - if it is, you'll want to cook it up
- 2 handfuls lettuce or salad leaves, washed and dried
- 100 grams or so other stuff- I used cucumber, but chuck in any greens, avocado...
- 50 grams walnut pieces you can use walnut halves but pieces are much cheaper
Blue cheese dressing
- 2 heaped tablespoons mayonnaise
- 50 grams blue cheese
- Baking tray
- Scales (or you can eyeball, it is a salad)
- Colander & salad spinner/clean tea towel
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
Optional: Turn the oven to 180C and place the walnuts on a baking tray. Place in the warmed oven and toast for about 8 minutes, keeping a close eye on the time. Once toasted, remove from the oven place to one side.
If preferred/you're pushed for time, don't toast your nuts
Whisk the blue cheese and mayo together in a bowl. I like to leave some lumps as I like texture in a salad, you may prefer it smooth, up to you
Cut the celery up and mix with the veg. Mix the dressing into the veg and taste for seasoning, adding salt and black pepper to taste.
Add the walnuts and eat!